Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thoughts...

This is something which I've wanted to share when I was in 2D just now. But there wasn't enough time. Related to Chapter 2's Population Studies, yet something personal.

More than 1 week back, during the Band SYF weekend, my little boy was having a high fever. It went on for about 2 or 3 days before his body won the battle against the virus. We had to administer his medication every 6 hours. After he takes his medicine, the fever will subside for about 5 hours before the temperature rises again.
I wasn't too nervous because this is pretty common, and we have the right kind of medication for him.

Then...

my thoughts turned to the children in developing countries.
It's so easy for me to drop by the clinic and pick up the medication. But what about those mothers in poorer countries like Indonesia? Or Vietnam? Or Cambodia? Do the mothers know how to care of the sick children? How many babies will survive the high fever? Will their children suffer irreversible damage after the onslaught of fever? In Vietnam, for every 1000 babies born, 25 will not live to celebrate their 1st birthday. My son will celebrate his first birthday this Saturday. I am not taken it for granted.

My heart became heavier and heavier as I thought about this. Sometimes I wish I can drop everything, and be a humanitarian worker in these countries. Sometimes, all they need is a simple medication to save a life. A simple drug that can be bought at any clinic. A simple drug that we take for granted.

In times like this, my hope is that, perhaps among the 100s of students I teach each year, some will eventually go on my behalf; to reach out to the hurting living among us and bring some relief to them.

To all, my wish is: you will treasure Life.

2 comments:

yashora said...

mdm lee,you are one of the most inspirational teacher-wait,your the ONLY inspirational teacher ive eva had!!!!and i give you my word,when i grow up,i will help the children and ppl in 3rd world countries.:)

Mdm Catherine Lee said...

Yashora, students like you give me the reason to continue teaching! Thank you.